You are here
STEM CELLS, STEM CELLS Translational Medicine, and STEM CELLS Portal
These policies serve as guidelines for advertisers and are intended to be written/followed in accordance with the American Society for Magazine Editors (ASME) guidelines.i Basic principles contained within these guidelines are as follows:
- Every reader is entitled to fair and accurate news and information.
- The value of journals to advertisers depends on reader trust.
- The difference between editorial content and marketing messages must be transparent.
- Editorial integrity must not be compromised by advertiser influence.
1. General Advertising Principles
AlphaMed Press (hereafter AMP) is a publisher of peer-reviewed, scientific, and educational materials in stem cell research. As such, AMP provides advertising space in STEM CELLS, STEM CELLS Translational Medicine, and STEM CELLS Portal through printed journals, websites, and apps. Approval and inclusion of advertising in these publications does not indicate an endorsement of or responsibility for advertised products and services by AMP, and should not be construed as such. Advertisers bear all responsibility for the claims made in and materials provided for approved advertising, and/or for any claims or damages resulting from the use of advertised products/services. Decisions regarding suitability of advertising are based upon the editorial integrity and reputation of AMP’s journals and websites, and must be in keeping with the mission and principles of AMP as determined by the respective Editorial Boards and Editors . Advertisers do not influence editorial decisions, and advertising space is sold independently from any decisions about editorial content for all materials published by AMP.
STEM CELL - http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/termsAndConditions
STEM CELLS Translational Medicine - http://stemcellstm.alphamedpress.org/site/misc/terms.xhtml
STEM CELLS Portal – http://www.stemcellsportal.com/terms-of-use
AMP reserves the right to change these policies at any time. Advertisers should visit the respective journal sites and portal for additional advertising information and specifications.
2. Advertising Eligibility
The Editors reserve the right to accept or reject any submitted advertisements at their sole discretion, and to discontinue publication of previously accepted advertising at their sole discretion. Questions about advertising eligibility should be directed to the Executive Editor.
2.2. Eligible advertising
- Biological and pharmaceutical products: advertising will only be accepted for FDA, EMA, or CFDA-approved products. It is the advertisers’ sole responsibility to comply with all governmental regulations related to advertising and promotions. Acceptance of advertising by AMP does not indicate that the advertisement is legally compliant. Advertisements prior to FDA, EMA, or CFDA approval may be submitted for approval provided that there is no mention of the product name and there is a clear indication of the advertiser. Acceptance of this type of advertising is at the sole discretion of AMP.
- Corporate advertising: advertising for corporate branding efforts, not product-specific, will be reviewed and accepted upon the discretion of AMP.
- Medical equipment and devices: advertising will only be accepted for FDA, EMA, or CFDA-approved medical devices. In addition, manufacturers are required to prepare and submit to the FDA an appropriate premarket submission for mobile medical apps meeting the definition of a medical device, as required for all regulated medical devices. It is the advertisers’ sole responsibility to comply with all agency regulations related to medical equipment and device advertising. Acceptance of advertising by AMP does not indicate that the advertisement is legally compliant.
- Educational programs: advertising for educational programs will be reviewed and accepted upon the discretion of AMP.
- Classified advertising: classified advertising will be reviewed and accepted upon the discretion of AMP.
- Clinical trial advertising: clinical trial advertising will be reviewed and accepted upon the discretion of AMP.
- CME Programs: advertising for Continuing Medical Education (CME) programs will be considered if the CME programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME).
- Non-health care advertising: advertising for products of interest to physicians, researchers, and scientists will be reviewed and accepted upon the discretion of AMP. Books: advertising for books will be reviewed and accepted upon the discretion of AMP.
2.3. Ineligible advertising
AMP will not accept advertising for alcohol or tobacco products, or investment advertising. Advertisements for dietary supplements or vitamins are not accepted unless approved by the FDA, EMA, or CFDA. Advertisements that contain offensive/discriminatory language or deceptive/misleading claims will not be accepted.
3. Specific Advertising Guidelines
3.1. Ad placement
Reasonable efforts will be made to separate advertisements for competing products. Geo-targeting is applied to distribute advertising to appropriate countries or regions.
AMP does not release data that identifies individual users of websites, apps, or emails. Reporting that contains aggregated data including impressions, clicks, and traffic is available to advertisers.
3.3. Advertising content
- Advertisements for pharmaceutical products should contain the full scientific/generic name for each active ingredient.
- All promotional messages in drug or device advertisements should include citations and other information to help readers make appropriate decisions.
- Advertising messages cannot include free offers or contests.
3.4. Print advertising
- All advertisements are welled in the front and back of the journal issues.
- Special advertising opportunities include belly bands, cover tips, inserts/outserts; others will be considered as long as they meet specification and editorial guidelines.
3.5. Digital advertising
- AMP will label all digital advertising (includes website and email banner, tower, skyscraper, and box ads) with the word “Advertisement,” to clearly distinguish advertising materials from editorial content.
- Reasonable efforts will be made by AMP to avoid displaying product banner advertising on the same digital page containing a product reference in the editorial content.
- No advertisements can appear on digital pages on which CME articles or CME components, such as disclosure pages, post-tests, or activity evaluations, appear.
3.6. Offsite links
- Advertisements may only link directly to advertiser-sponsored website and only upon user-initiated click; URL of offsite link must be provided to AMP for review and prior approval.
- Advertiser links directing the user to a third-party website must not prevent a user from easily returning to AMP’s website.
3.7. Expandable ad specifications
- User Interactions/Engagement:
- All expandable advertising must either be user-initiated with a mouse click or by mouseover.
- Opened advertisement must have a clearly marked close 'X' button and/or may contract when the cursor leaves the advertisement.
- User instructions must be included and clearly marked.
- Banner Advertisement Sizes & Page Relative Sizes:
- The leaderboard ad in its closed state is 728 x 90. Maximum size of an expanded leaderboard is 728 x 360. Expanded panel must expand below the ad itself but will not push page content.
- The wide tower ad in its closed state is 160 x 600. Maximum size of an expanded tower ad is 410 x 600. Expanded panel must expand to the left over page content but will not push page content.
- The box ad in its closed state is 300 x 250. Maximum size of an expanded box ad is 500 x 250. Expanded panel must expand to the left over page content but will not push page content.
- Bandwidth Restrictions:
- Maximum initial ad load size: 50KB.
- Additional file weight/size (Polite Download) 200KB.
- Additional Requirements:
- All advertisements must come from a third-party Rich Media server (i.e., Eyeblaster, Pointroll, DoubleClick, etc.).
- Lead time for Rich Media is three business days before cAMPaign launch.
- All advertisements are subject to approval by AMP.
- All advertisements must be in compliance with CheckM8 format.
3.8. Microsite sponsorships
From time-to-time, advertisers will be offered the opportunity to fund content-based microsites, presenting “collections” of previously published articles, editorials, and multimedia content. Advertisers will have no approval of or input in the selection or creation of editorial content, and will be clearly acknowledged in the following manner, at the sole discretion of AMP:
This educational platform is brought to you by:
Company logo [links to company homepage]
Disclaimer: [disclaimer information will read: supporters of video lectures, roundtables, and other educational materials are individually acknowledged within]
3.9. Universal App
Ads are available for non-CME articles, supplements, and video lectures only. Single advertiser support of the Universal App is not allowed or available to advertisers. Reasonable efforts will be made through advertisement rotations to avoid displaying product banner advertising on the same digital page containing a product reference in the editorial content.
3.10. HD App
No advertisement can appear on the same digital page as CME articles. Advertisements between non-CME articles are allowed provided they do not reference and/or are not related to the content contained in facing articles. ASME guidelines require or recommend the following for tablet media: ii
- Because many apps do not display adjacent pages, it is especially important that advertisements should not use typefaces, design elements and color schemes similar to those used on editorial pages. Users may otherwise mistake advertising for editorial.
- Advertisements should not use on-page navigational controls that resemble those used for editorial content.
- Advertisements that take over the user interface should include a prominent “Skip” or “Close” control.
- To ensure that interactive advertisements meet the technical standards of the journal, editorial staff must receive advertising materials in advance to allow for quality assurance review.
i Adapted from “ASME Guidelines for Editors and Publishers Revised January 2011” by American Society of Magazine Editors. http://www.magazine.org/asme/editorial- guidelines accessed April 2013.